Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) - VICTOR MAPUNGA
Monday, 8 August, 2016
On July 23rd 2016, I travelled to New Haven Connecticut in the USA to attend the YYGS program in Technology Innovation & Entrepreneurship from July 26th to August 8th.
Out of the thousands that applied to the highly selective program only 211 where selected with only 3 Zimbabweans attending the session.
- · 211 Students from 110 countries
- · 12 African students total
- · Program was to select the best students from around the world to create a network of global leaders aiming to tackle global problems innovatively.
- · Activities Involved Lectures from renowned professors from, Yale, Brown, Harvard.
- · Special guest speakers from successful entrepreneurs like Peter Boyd (Former CEO of Virgin Mobile SA, Justin Lafazan founder of NextGen Summit, Benjamin Stern, founder of Noboh).
- · Other activities involved, Capstone Projects (Group Proposals and Presentations, TED Talks, Simulations, Discussion sessions & brain storming sessions).
- · Seminars had varied topics ranging from Fintech, Biotech, Renewable Energy, Quantum Physics, Satellites etc.
- · I’m now working with other students from the program to create a coalition of school clubs/associations/leaders all over the world, passionate about Microfinance and social entrepreneurship.
Overall it was a great experience filled with numerous opportunities.